Gemperle eggs are not just for breakfast! Here’s some delicious main course recipes to enjoy. We encourage you to check out our Facebook page for lots of great recipe ideas.
Baked Eggs Florentine – Gemperle Style
Spinach, Feta and Caramelized Onion Quiche
Roasted Vegetable Frittata
Butternut Squash, Caramelized Onion and Kale Savory Bread Pudding
Baked Eggs Florentine – Gemperle Style
Eggs Florentine can be a wonderful fall or winter meal in one. We added a bit of bacon – the old saying goes “bacon makes it better”. But if you are looking for that satisfying Meatless Monday meal, skip the bacon. This meal is bound to satisfy any hard core meat eater. A salad or baguette beautifully rounds off this meal.
2 tablespoon butter
¼ cup onion, minced
1 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup whole milk or half-and-half
10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (remove excess water)
1 cup Parmesan or Swiss cheese, grated. Additional ¼ cup to sprinkle on top
5 slices bacon (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Paprika for sprinkling on top
Olive oil for brushing inside of ramekin
6 large eggs (you can also put two eggs in each ramekin for a higher protein meal)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1. Cook bacon until crisp, chop and set aside (bacon is optional)
2. To make the cream sauce for the spinach, melt the butter over medium heat in a medium sized saucepan. Add minced onion and cook until soft. Slowly whisk in milk/half and half and continue whisking until thickened, 3 or 4 minutes. Turn off heat and add spinach, 1 cup grated cheese, bacon, mustard and nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Brush olive oil on the inside of 6 ramekins (ours were 4 ½ inches diameter). Put spinach mixture in the bottom of each ramekin and push up the sides about 1 inch.
4. Crack one or two eggs into each ramekin on top of the spinach. Be careful not to break the yolk. Sprinkle with a bit of cheese and paprika. Place the ramekins on a rimmed cookie sheet and place in the oven for baking.
5. Bake approximately 15 minutes until the spinach mixture is bubbly and the egg whites are just about set. The yolks should still look a bit runny. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes until the whites are firm.
Enjoy!!! Leftover dishes also work well as a quick heat up lunch for kids.
Serve with a crisp salad and you have the perfect nutritious meal. All made with delicious Gemperle eggs!
Prep Time: 30 Minutes. Bake Time: 25-35 minutes
1 pastry crust
1 package frozen chopped spinach
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 large onions, chopped and caramelized
1 cup whole milk or a combination of cream and milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
Step 1.Cook spinach, drain well and squeeze out the moisture so it does not drip.
Step 2. Caramelize the chopped onions over medium heat in a tablespoon of butter until golden brown about 10 minutes.
Step 3. Mix the feta, onion and spinach and spread mixture into the prepared pastry crust.
Step 4. Beat eggs, with milk/cream, salt and pepper and pour into prepared pastry crust filled with spinach filling.
Step 5. Bake in oven. Check after 25 minutes for firmness. It may need another 5-10 minutes depending on your oven.
Serve this wonderful frittata with slices of crusty French bread. Easy quick and healthy – basically a meal in a pan.
Prep 15 min Cook 1 hr. 10 min
1 small zucchini, sliced thinly
1 red bell pepper sliced very thinly
2 medium size yellow or red potatoes
1 red onion, sliced very thinly
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 extra-large eggs
1 cup whole milk or half and half
1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Pour the olive oil into a 10 inch sauté pan. Layer the zucchini, peppers, potatoes and onion in the pan Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven heat to 350 Degrees.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and garlic. Pour eggs over roasted vegetable and sprinkle scallions on top. Return to oven and Bake the frittata for 20 to 30 minutes, until puffed and set in the middle. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges and serve hot.
We hope you enjoyed Gemperle eggs used in some delicious main courses!