Gemperle Farms Eggs are everywhere from Food to Science to Technology
Some people have their criticisms of eggs, but could we really live without eggs? If egg farmers like Gemperle Farms just decided to stop farming eggs, life would be very different. Eggs have had many uses over the centuries and have come to be one of the natural staples we have in our daily lives.
Eggs and their necessary proteins and fats are essential ingredients in making some of the delicious and nutritious foods we eat, could you imagine your meals if you didn’t have these?
- breads, cakes, rolls, or scones
- custard and pudding
- many different soups
- the more obvious eggnogs and quiches
- energy bars and protein powders
- ice cream or meringue
- fresh pasta
- malted beverages
- salad dressings as well as many prepared sauces
- infant formula
It would be really difficult to cook and bake a diverse range of foods without eggs! Did you know that much of the processed food we eat, would not hold together without egg proteins. Don’t be fooled if you don’t see the word “egg” written in the ingredients. Different names for egg proteins include:
- even egg substitute (like egg beaters).
Eggs and egg shells are also used for other kinds of food processing like clarifying, as in meat stocks and wine. Have you ever noticed a shiny crust on your bread? That beautiful yellow crust comes from an egg wash. Can you imagine holidays without wine or bread?
- Eggs are used to enhance the nutrition of many pet foods. They help give your pet a nice shiny coat.
- Crushed eggshells are a rich calcium supplement and high-quality protein source for animal nutrition. These in turn, help farm animals and pets stay in optimum health.
Eggs are often essential in scientific experiments. Microorganisms cannot breed in laboratories very well without a small amount of egg yolk added to the culture medium. We even use eggs in our vaccinations! The measles-mumps-rubella or MMR vaccine contains eggs as well as many of the flu vaccines we get. So next time you visit the doctor for your routine vaccine, thank the egg!
Various parts of the egg, including its many proteins, vitamins and fatty acids are used for many medicinal benefits including:
- Pharmaceutical drugs.
- anti-microbial agents in pharmaceutical drugs
- Antioxidant benefits in food products.
- used experimentally to grow human skin fibroblasts (connective tissue cells) for severe-burn victims
I bet you did not know that eggs are in many skin and hair products. Egg oil is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids such as omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids that our skin just loves so it makes a perfect ingredient for skin care products.
In fact, many ancient cultures used egg oil as a topical moisturizer, anti-bacterial, and ointment for burns and other skin conditions.
Other uses for eggs and its essential fats, proteins, and other derivatives include:
- shampoos and conditioners and, sometimes, soaps
- make-up foundations
- even lipstick.
We at Gemperle Farms are quite convinced we have a moral obligation to farm eggs for everyone since eggs are such a crucial part of everyone’s livelihood. Each day we care for our hens at the highest standard to be sure you have the healthiest eggs fo r your family.
To find out more about eggs and there uses, visit our Gemperle Farms website and browse around or check out more of our videos on our Youtube page. We cover science experiments and crafts as well as the numerous health benefits