The Best Kid’s Back to School Breakfast “Brain Food” … Eggs!
We at Gemperle Family Farms believe the nutritionist that say “Before School breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. We have seen the research!
Recently, Harvard, Tufts and Boston University researchers confirmed the age-old saying that before school breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day, especially when it comes to school children. Research demonstrates that when school children eat breakfast, they show improvements in behavior and cognitive function:
- Improved focus
- Better attention and emotional well-being
- Higher math test scores
- Higher reading and standardized tests
- fewer discipline problems and absentees
- improved standardized test scores
- improved math grades
- improved reading abilities
- better attention, and the ability to stay more alert
- Increased student attendance rates
- decreased discipline problems
At Gemperle Family Farms, we believe eggs play an important role in a healthy start to the day so kids can optimize learning.
- Eggs are sugarless, making them more diabetes friendly than cereals
- The protein keeps kids full longer
- Eggs are packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals that keep little brains revved all day.
- They are the highest-quality natural protein found in any food
- Gemperle Farms eggs are bursting with omega-3 fatty acids and choline, both excellent for brain function and emotion-regulating neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine.
Don’t underestimate the intuitive knowledge of parents. On a recent Egg survey, nearly three quarters of parents stated that they feed their kids eggs for before school breakfast on important days like the first day of school, test days or athletic events. Eggs for breakfast are truly a time tested success for students across the ages.
But who has time for eggs these days, right? For households across the country, the moment before kids head out the door in the morning can be quite stressful. Fortunately, putting together a portable egg school breakfast takes less than three minutes and costs under a dollar per serving. Recruit your older kids to help make this Gemperle Farms, kid-approved breakfast favorite. Or make a bunch ahead of time and then freeze them
The Gemperle Favorite … Two Minute Ham, Cheddar and Egg Breakfast Burrito
All you need is–
- 1 egg, beaten, with a sprinkle of sale and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. fully-cooked ham.
- 2 Tbsp. Cheddar Cheese, grated
You can whip these up in a jiffy. Just–
First, Crack the egg into a cereal bowl or two-cup ramekin and beat with the water until well blended.
Next, Add chopped ham.
Throw in a few chopped onions if desired. Or even a bit of left over broccoli for a variation.
Third, Microwave the egg mixture on high for approximately 30 seconds.
Then, Give the eggs a little stir and microwave for an additional 20 to 40 seconds until the eggs are just about set.
Next, Remove eggs from the microwave and heat the tortilla for 20 seconds on high in the microwave.
Then, Place the cooked eggs in the warmed tortilla and sprinkle with cheese.
Finally, Roll up and enjoy!
Gemperle Family Farms believes strongly in giving children the tools they need to succeed, which begins with a healthy before school breakfast. This is why the Gemperle Family donates over 500,000 eggs each year to free lunch programs, schools, fundraisers and food banks with a portion designated for children’s breakfast programs.
For more kids “Egg-du-cation” information visit the kids corner of our family farm website.
Sources For Educational Breakfast Research Data